This tiny yet welcoming bijou retail space - on the cold concourse of the spectacular Brighton station building - offers a bit of escapism to the those visiting as they are transported to the producers that have been carefully sourced by the proprietor Louise Oliver.
My client had been running her independent off licence Seven Cellars at Brighton's Five Ways and asked for my help with her dream second shop destined for Brighton Station.
The first hurdle was the alcohol license. The client did a fantastic application to Brighton & Hove Council, resulting in the license being granted on 1st September, 2021. The client and I had designed the layout for the alcohol license and had some ideas for the concept in preparation - but from 1st September we were full on designing, specifying, drawing, making and installing to achieve the 21st October opening date.
The date the sounded so optimistic when our client requested it.... 50 calender days!! But I was extremely lucky to work with a brilliant team of proactive people - some were ones I've worked with many times - some were new to me. I am hugely grateful to: illustrator Alex Borg, signmaker Richard of Recreative Signs, David of DJ Carpentry, Jim/ Can Electric, decorator Paul, Lewis of High Click Rate and Brighton CCTV and if course my lovely client Louise and her brilliant team.
Project steps: ALL:
- Briefing and site visit
- Interior design concept
- Design development and sourcing
- Detail drawings and specification
- Procurement assistance
- Works scheduling
- Trade liaison
- Designer on site
- Client binder
The following elements were incorporated into the design:
- Recycled/recyclable aluminium signage, with LED lighting
- Using small businesses including local
- Avoiding unnecessary materials
- Previous shopfit donated for reuse via local recycling company Paper Round
- Floor reused from previous shopfit
- Lighting reused from previous shopfit
- FSC certified printing using locally sourced paper
- FSC timber joinery
- Vintage glass pendant shades with LED bulbs
- Non-animal tested paint
- FSC timber A board